Just about bordering on odd, I see things through different eyes.The heading says it all - I live, I love, I craft, I am me...

03/03/2014

I remember when....

I  was 16.
It doesn't feel that long ago.
I remember a slim waist, swimming in tepid pool water, flirting and having fun.
I can still feel the sun shining down on my skin and having out breaks of freckles...lots and lots of freckles.

*************************

I remember too - 16 years ago.
That, strangely seems a life time away, further away than when I was 16.

I remember dragging a very hot, tight and stressed body (mine) around an ovenlike, dry and dusty park in a Johannesburg suburb. Willing my 2 week delayed baby to think about moving.

I remember the heat.  I remember seeing wild rabbits grazing the brown stubby grass under a rusty steam train - it had been painted a shiny black.

I remember the sweat on my back and my fringe plastered on my face. And I remember feeling very very uncomfortable.

Now - that stubbornly unwilling-to-be-born baby is now a wonderful 16 year old.

Happy Birthday Beautiful.

16 chocolate buns, each with chocolate stars and a candle 
- each one for each year of his life. 
Just before lighting the many candles 
(Himself kept singeing his wrist as he lit them)
Note to self (well - himself - start lighting the candles from the TOP)
16 candles and a set of '16' candles - an awful lot of teenage puff was needed!



5 comments:

  1. What a beautiful way to commemorate your sixteen-year-old's birthday, Hawthorn, a lovely post - Happy Birthday to him and congrats to you and his Dad, and what a great age to be with all before him - a very happy successful future to him! Joy xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely way to celebrate your son's birthday and such a great idea of 16 cakes and candles.
    I have spent the last few days recounting when I was pregnant with my son. Now that also feel like 16 years ago but in real time it was actually 30. Where does that time go?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can just about remember being 16!!! Love the choccy buns, bet there are none left! Great photos as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  4. happy birthday eldest. If Hubby had given me a candle for each year of my life there'd be more candle than cake!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember your 16th too. A disco in the Depot Mess I seem to remember. I made you a cake decorated with frangipani flowers. The Abba tune DISCO always takes me back to then!!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there...

Thank you ever so much for stopping by today - I'm really glad that you did. If you would like to leave me a comment then I would be delighted to hear from you, any one signing as anonymous or writing anything unkind, political, any form of hate or computer generated will be acknowledged as spam and deleted.

Hawthorn x

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.